museum logo
1003 Waterman Avenue, East Providence, RI 02914-0187 401-228-7292

2008 Hall of Fame Inductees

The following are the 2008 Hall of Fame Inductees. Click on each name to read about them. "Top of Page" will bring you back to this index.

Mary Santos Barros

picture of MaryMary Santos Barros was born in New Bedford, Massachusetts on December 26, 1923. Her parents, Jose and Julia Santos were natives of Sao Nicolau, Cape Verde. She was educated in the New Bedford school system through the Technical High School. She attended the University of Massachusetts, Amherst and received a certificate from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Boston for participating in the Community Fellows Program from 1980 to 1981.

On July 10, 1960, Mary was married to Jeronimo Barros, a native of Boa Vista. They have eight children named Joao, Julie, Naia, the Late Vincent, Nuno, Kwame, Joseph and Sal. Her concerns for her own and other children led to Mary becoming an advocate for equal education for all children. She was active in the PTAs of her children's schools and often served as president.

Mary Santos Barros retired from the Department of Social Services. Previously, she was a factory worker at Aerovox for seventeen years and at Campbell Curtains for fourteen years. As a teenager, she worked as a domestic.

As a member of the Committee of Concerned Parents for New Bedford schools, she served on the Executive Committee and was instrumental in the building and naming of the Alfred J. Gomes School, named after a Cape Verdean lawyer and leader, which was dedicated on October 27, 1977. She became a voice for Cape Verdean parents often taking immigrant parents to school committee meetings and interpreting for them. She was a member of the Board of Education for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts from 1975 to 1979. She was recognized by them "for her distinguished service through the establishment of increased opportunities for all youth and exemplary parent participation".

She promoted the hiring of Cape Verdean bus drivers in the City of New Bedford. An active member of the NAACP, she served in many capacities.

Mary is a parishioner of Our Lady of the Assumption Church, the first Cape Verdean Catholic Church in the United States founded in 1905. She sang in the choir and represented the church at the National Black Catholic Congress. A woman of strong faith, her door is always open to anyone who has a problem.

In New Bedford, she belonged to the Cape Verdean Veterans Association Women's Auxiliary, the Cuckoo Club and the Merchant Mariners' Social Club and Auxiliary.

She was a member of the Cape Verdean American Federation and on the Board of Directors of TCHUBA, The American Committee for Cape Verde. Mary was a strong supporter of the Ernestina project.

Recognizing that to accomplish certain objectives one has to be politically involved, Mary ran for the City Council of New Bedford and was elected to represent Ward 4 for two terms. She was on the Housing and Health Committees. A believer in political empowerment, Mary helped many people become American citizens. She was also a State Committee Representative to the State Democratic Party Convention. Mary has always been a community advocate not only for Cape Verdeans, but also for all minorities.

Mary's love of Cape Verde is demonstrated not only by her participation in activities in the United States, but also in Cape Verde. Having traveled to Cape Verde three times, she became more aware of the needs and strengths of the land of her parents. She has lobbied on behalf of Cape Verde on the state and federal levels. When a hurricane struck Cape Verde in 1982, Mary and others raised funds which were sent to the people of Cape Verde. She regularly sent barrels and money to members of her family and others.

Among the many recognitions Mary Santos Barros has received are the New Bedford Noon Lions Club Award for Outstanding Leadership for more than 20 years in 1998, the 1992 Recognition Award of Downtown New Bedford Inc., and the renaming of the T.A. Greene Elementary School as the Mary S. Barros Educational Center where the New Bedford Head Start Program is currently housed.

Mary Santos Barros is an exemplary model for all women having distinguished herself as a loving daughter, wife, mother and community leader. She is a mentor who encourages young people to pursue education and personal goals and to become politically active for the betterment of the community. She never sought personal gains and worked tirelessly for the benefit of others.

Top of Page

Manuel Edward Costa, Sr.

picture of ManuelManuel Edward Costa, Sr. was born on March 9, 1918 in New Bedford, Massachusetts. His parents, Eduardo Gomes Costa and Maria Santos Oliveira Costa were born in Santo Antoi, Cape Verde and came to the United States in the early 1900's. Manuel had two brothers, Antone J. Oliveira, born in Cape Verde and Epifanio Costa, born in New Bedford, Massachusetts.

Manuel was raised in Port Chester, New York in the earlier part of his life where he attended elementary and high school and was honored for never missing a day of school throughout his entire school years.

When his family moved to New Bedford, Manuel enrolled in the Army Officers' school and later became a first Lieutenant and served in the army for 3 years. He attended Lincoln University and Brown University where he was a four-letter man in Basketball, Football, Track and High Jumping. Later, he would graduate from Bridgewater State Teachers College.

He married Ruth Davis Costa and they had two children, Manuel "Butch" E. Costa, Jr. and Jeanne Maria Costa. Later, Manuel remarried and fathered 6 more children, David Dance, Donald Cleaves, Nicole, Jason, Aaron and Alexandra Costa.

During his life in New Bedford, Manuel was a mentor, teacher, civil rights activist, writer, TV host, coach, politician, social worker, gymnast instructor and the list goes on.

There was never a time when Manny wasn't helping someone needy or someone who needed support because they were having to fill out papers for immigration, having difficulty with a teacher or school system, had to appear in court without representation, needed housing, needed employment, needed a loan from the bank needed to meet with authorities or when an individual did not speak English or could not represent their selves.

In the early 40's, he began the 'House of Champions' taking young men off the streets and teaching them the art of boxing. Many of these young men were troubled and often found themselves in front of a judge where Manny would speak for them. Many of these young men won competitions and eventually changed their lives around.

Manuel organized great basketball teams and through many exhibition games, raised money to help these young individuals to attend higher education and realize their dreams. He advocated for higher education in the Cape Verdean community, often writing letters to colleges helping those individuals to receive scholarships.

He regularly wrote letters to the editor of the Standard Times, especially, when something or someone affected the community in a negative way. He picketed a law firm for a whole year in hot and cold weather because they wronged a fellow Cape Verdean.

He was relentless when it came to the rights of individuals, especially, the Cape Verdean people and would protect the rights of all people if they couldn't speak for themselves.

During the Christmas season, Manuel was often seen riding through a poorer section of the city handing out gloves and hats in the winter and ice cream and popsicles in the summer.

In 1998, Manuel was recognized by the City of New Bedford for all his great deeds. The City of New Bedford renamed Cannon Street (near Monte's playground), which is in the heart of the Cape Verdean community, the 'Manuel E. Costa Memorial Way'.

One city official stated, "There will never be another man like Manuel Costa in New Bedford that will do what he did during his lifetime. It would take 12 men to fill his shoes".

Manuel Costa's employment included, Lieutenant in the Army, Director of the Human Relations Commission, Director of the Foster Grandparent Program, teacher, social worker, and the first Cape Verdean candidate for ward councilor in New Bedford. He was also a licensed mortician and also created what is called today, the 'Tonkers Tumblers'. Manuel also played a significant role in the struggle for Cabo Verde independence.

Manuel Edward Costa, Sr. passed on March 2, 1992. Since his passing, his nephew, Edward "Buster" Costa and others are part of a group that has honored Manuel by having the 'Manuel E. Costa, Sr. Scholarship Basketball Tournaments' for thirteen years in his memory. Through this venue, and through the support of the community, they have given thousands of dollars to students for scholarships and also to the Boys and Girls Club in New Bedford.

Top of Page

Antonio L. "Toney" DaMoura

picture of AntonioAntonio L. 'Toney' DaMoura was born on February 27, 1968 in the Island of Santiago, Cape Verde Islands to Alice da Silva Goncalves and the Late Antonio L. DaMoura.

Toney had an extensive and well respected career working in the field of youth counseling and social work. In his spare time, he donated of his spirit and knowledge to educate and help those around him. He was one of the founders of the Cape Verdean Student Association at the University of Rhode Island, which has inspired similar organizations throughout Colleges and Universities in the New England area. Toney held the educational opportunities afforded him close to his heart, and always encouraged the Community to do the same.

Toney has accomplished more in the years we were blessed with his presence than in fact many of us will in a lifetime. He was Producer, Editor, Director and Host of 'InterVideo' for 12 years; a television program dedicated to educating the community about the power of music on an international level.

He was Co-Producer and Guest Host on 'Nobidade TV', the first show of its' kind providing programming which is a social and political forum to bridge the gap between Cape Verdeans in the mainland and those who have immigrated to the United States.

Toney co-hosted and was a regular Disc Jockey on '90.3FM'; the radio program, 'Cape Verdean-Afro Beat', which helps promote local artist and discusses issues currently affecting the community. He was a strong motivating force in the progressive changes which are taking place in the 'Cape Verdean Heritage Subcommittee', through which he also hosted the 'Annual Cape Verdean Independence Day Festival', now celebrated in Rhode Island for over 30 years.

The 39 year old earned a Bachelor and Master's Degree from the University of Rhode Island in Arts & Sciences. He was the beloved brother of 11 siblings, Maria da Silva, Joaquim da Silva, Luis D. Lopes, Ana Tavares, Ernestina DaMoura Moreira, Maria Carmen DaMoura, Maria dos Santos DaMoura, and Jose DaMoura, Nelida DaMoura, Sandra DaMoura and Nelson DaMoura.

Toney DaMoura, a Leader of the Cape Verdean community passed away peacefully on April 2, 2007. He is survived by his mother, 11 siblings, many cousins, nieces and nephews and dearly missed.

Although our community has suffered a tremendous loss, we hope that Toney's spirit will live on in all that knew him. It will live on in all the people who respected his efforts to promote peace, higher learning, unity, and understanding among all, but especially those who are socially disadvantaged.

Toney DaMoura will always be remembered by everyone within the causes and groups he supported, as he touched hearts and souls in a unique way. He always tried to instill peace in our hearts. His Legacy will live on.

The Antonio L. DaMoura Scholarship Fund

A scholarship fund has been established in the name of Antonio L. DaMoura after his passing. Tony Goncalves along with fellow classmates and close friends, in order to honor Toney's passion for higher learning, have set up this fund to aide students who also desire to acquire knowledge and share it with their community and the world.

We ask that you help to continue his legacy by supporting our efforts. Anyone who is interested in contributing to this fund can refer to an account which has been set up for 'The Antonio L. DaMoura Scholarship Fund', in care of 'Nobidade TV' at Citizens Bank, Account # 1807-557-6.

Top of Page

Joseph Candido Delgado

picture of JosephJoseph Candido Delgado was born October 28, 1881 on the Cape Verde Island of Sao Nicolau. A devout Catholic, he entertained desires for the priesthood. His family was unable financially to send him to the seminary.

Joseph Delgado came to the United States in search of a better life and settled in Norwich in 1912. He married Geralda Almeida on May 24, 1913 and they resided at 165 Talman Street, Norwich, Connecticut with their six children, .Anna Deas, Mary Norde, Joseph Delgado, Candido Delgado, Anthony Delgado and Frank Delgado.

He believed that everyone of the Catholic faith should do something to please God. He had a dream one day, saw the Chapel and built it according to the picture which was presented to him in his dream. With his own money and manual labor, he erected the one room Chapel which stood fifty feet from his home. It took several years to construct and he kept the secret for several months from his wife and children who believed he was building a playhouse for them. They realized however, what it would be as soon as they saw the form which the building was taking during its construction.

Because of his devotion to Saint Anthony, he dedicated the edifice to this great of Padua, Italy. The inscription over the door of the Chapel reads, 'A Capella do Santo Antonio foi baptisada no dia 4 de Julho do ano de 1926'.

Nestled between lofty hills in the easterly section of Norwich, less than a five minute walk from the center of the city stood St. Anthony's Chapel. The interior of the Chapel is 16 feet long, 9 feet wide. Statues of Jesus, Mary and Joseph, Saint Anthony, Saint Anne and Saint Theresa surround the altar. Mr. Delgado cut down a barber pole, painted over the red stripes in white and used it as a base to hold the crucifix which stands at the front of the Chapel.

Tiny framed drawings hung along the wall depict the Fourteen Stations of the Cross. The statutes and drawings were donated by friends as gifts. The Chapel, which is almost childlike, has a quiet dignity.

Each morning and night, Mr. Delgado with his family would offer prayers. Solely for devotion and meditation, the Chapel was open to anyone who wished to spend time in prayer. The Chapel accommodated 25 to 30 people and was not attended exclusively by fellow Cape Verdeans, but also by Italians, French, Polish and other ethnic groups which populated the East Side. This little place of devotion had attracted those of the Roman Catholic faith of Portuguese decent both in the immediate neighborhood and from several surrounding towns. Neighboring priests have visited the tiny Chapel and given their blessings.

Since the death of his wife, Geralda in 1934, Mr. Delgado had resided alone and continued to worship at the Chapel day and night.

A carpenter and barber by trade; he was also President of the Norwich Laborers' and Hod Carriers Union and of the Santiago Society, a Portuguese society with headquarters in Providence, Rhode Island. He was one of the founders and incorporators of the Cape Verdean Santiago Society in Norwich, Connecticut in 1939.

While the Cape Verdean Santiago Society Club was being constructed, meetings were held in Mr. Delgado's yard in front of the St. Anthony Chapel.

Joseph C. Delgado passed in 1967 at the age of 85 years. Since 1926 and until the day of his death, the Chapel was never locked. The Chapel, which has fulfilled a dream, has become a symbol of the arrival, establishment and settlement of the Cape Verdeans in the City of Norwich and a symbol of pride for the man who left such a priceless legacy.

The Cape Verdean Santiago Society and its members completed the restoration of the Chapel in July 1977. On August 6, 2003, St. Anthony's Chapel was listed on the State Register of Historic Places by the Connecticut Historical Commission.

Top of Page

Captain John Theophilo Gonsalves

pictureof Captain JohnCaptain John Theophilo Gonsalves was born December 16, 1858 on the island of Brava, Cape Verde Islands. He may have been among the first Cape Verdean businessman who arrived in New England during the mid-nineteenth century.

Captain Gonsalves owned properties in Fairhaven, Harwich and Provincetown and became an American citizen on November 11, 1882.

He was the father of the Late, Maria Santos Gonsalves Rodrigues. Maria was raised in Brava, Cape Verde Islands. She had five sons named Joaquin, Joseph, Daniel, John and Frank Rodrigues and one daughter named Anna Rodrigues Askew.

He answered the "call of the sea" at the age of eleven and sailing vessels became his school, his college, his university; Ships Captains and First Mates became his Professors.

He was Captain Boy at the age of eleven and took to the seas with three hard years on the Bark Roman where he learned the ABC's of the whaling industry. He was Cook on the Bark Laetitia for three years and Boatwain on the Sea Queen for three years. He was Second Mate on Schooner Quickstep, Schooner Amelia and on the Schooner Rising Sun from Provincetown. He was Second Mate and Navigator on the Schooner Fannie Bond and served as Master for twelve years on the Schooner Rising Sun.

The following is a list of ships on which he served from Cabin Boy to Master:

Bark Roman
Sea Queen
John Dawson
Sea Ranger
Kate Florence
Morning Star*
Quick Step
Charles H. Hodgdon

Fannie Bond
Cape Horn Pigeon*
Northern Light
Eleanor B. Cornwell*
A.M. Nicholson*
William A. Graber*
Irving Azevedo
Golden City
Eunice H. Adams*
Rising Sun*
T. Towner*
Charles W. Morgan*
Little Lizzie (Packet Ship)*
Onward (Packet Ship)*
Sun Beam
*Ships on which Captain Gonsalves served as Master.

Captain Gonsalves was the last Master of the Charles W. Morgan, the last wooden whaling vessel. The maiden voyage of the Charles W. Morgan from September 6, 1841 to January 1, 1845 (3 years, 4 months), returned with 2,400 barrels of whale oil.

It is noteworthy in comparison, the last voyage, from September 9, 1920 to May 28, 1921 (9 months) commanded by Captain Gonsalves with a full Cape Verdean crew, many inexperienced, returned with 2,702 barrels of whale oil at a time when the whaling industry was near its end. With the price down from 73 cents a gallon to 30 cents a gallon, the total value of that cargo was $25,533.90.

The sea is character-building, as noted in the actions Captain Gonsalves needed to take in addressing day to day problems since often; it might be a matter of life or death. Each voyage had its challenges.

He rode out three severe hurricanes off Cape Hatteras, where boats and deck gear disappeared. The first on the E.B. Cornwell; the second and third were on the Rising Sun. He had many boats stove up by whales, but he never lost a man.

Captain Gonsalves's most exciting and perhaps, near fatal voyage was aboard the A.M. Nicholson in June 1918. A German submariner came alongside and shot across his bow at two different times. Captain Gonsalves said, "Don't sink the vessel. We are poor fisherman looking for sperm whale." The German Captain let him go. He sailed into port alongside the Ellen Swift. He returned to port with more than $30,000.00 worth of sperm oil.

Many long, detailed articles, as early as 1904, were written in the newspaper, The New Bedford Standard, noting his elongated career from cabin boy at age 11 to Captain/Master of the Charles W. Morgan, his incredible escape from Arctic ice, hurricanes, a German U-boat, and mutiny.

As noted in an article written on March 15, 1928 of The New Bedford Standard, "word came to relatives in the area that Captain John Theophilo Gonsalves had passed away in the Cape Verde Islands".

In the line which is written daily in a whaler's log book, "So ends this day"!

Top of Page

Joaquim do Livramento

picture of JoaquimJoaquim do Livramento was born in Sao Nicolau, Cape Verde Islands on January 25, 1891. He was raised by his grandparents Joseph and Olympia do Livramento. He was educated at a seminary in Cape Verde which, he agreed with his grandfather to attend, however, without intent of priesthood.

Mr. Livramento came to America around 1917 and resided in New Bedford, Massachusetts. He was the husband of Clara (Britto) do Livramento and the father of eight children; Mary Fortes, Elizabeth Duarte, Lillian Ramos, Irene Livramento, Estelle Livramento, Edwin Livramento, Arthur Livramento and Walter Livramento.

He worked as a Textile Operator at the Fiske Mill. He was a charter member of the Cape Verdean Ultra Marine Band Club in New Bedford. He was a member of Our Lady of Assumption Church in New Bedford, the first Roman Catholic Cape Verdean church in the nation.

Mr. Livramento had many talents, one of which has left behind a melodic and unmoving legacy in the Cape Verdean community today, his lifelong passion, second to his family-music. He was a composer, lyricist and musician. He played the French horn, piano, guitar and mandolin. Most of his compositions are still played today by Cape Verdean musicians.

The most popular and favorite of many, is a song that was inspired by his son, Arthur when he was a young man in the armed forces. While serving in World War II, Arthur wrote to his father and requested that he write a song telling a story of the profound love of his mother, hence, 'Amor de Mia'. Recorded and sung today by many artists, young and old.

Mr. Livramento had an admiration and brotherly love for his people. He was known for assisting immigrants of the Cape Verde Islands (who had limited knowledge of speaking, reading and/or writing in English) in translating and composing letters to and from loved ones in Cape Verde, and more importantly, assisting them in completing immigrations documents. He did so joyfully and free of charge. Some family members referred to him as "The Family Scribe".

He was an intelligent man with a tremendously cerebral vocabulary and his penmanship was a work of art.

Top of Page

Norberto Tavares

picture of NorbertoBorn on June 6, 1956 in Assomada, Santiago, Norberto Tavares is the son of a well-known local musician, Aristides Tavares, who played violin and other string instruments. After his father's untimely death when Norberto was nine, Norberto learned how to play guitar, keyboards and accordion on his own. He was encouraged by a local priest to play the organ as a boy and practiced on the instrument in the Catholic Church in Assomada. Norberto began making a name for himself as a songwriter in his early teens.

Norberto left Cape Verde for Portugal in 1973. Accompanying himself on guitar, Norberto composed his own funana and batuko songs, styles he knew well from his upbringing in a musical Badiu family from Santa Caterina. He formed a band called Black Power in Lisbon with other musicians from Cape Verde. Norberto released his first album of 'electric funana and batuko' in 1975, slightly before Katchas made his version of funana widely popular with Bulimundo. Norberto produced several more recordings in Portugal and toured widely with his band, before immigrating to the United States in 1979.

He returned to Cape Verde with Tropical Power in 1990 for the first time in 17 years and performed for large enthusiastic crowds in Santiago, influencing the first multiparty general election in the process by encouraging people to vote. Several of his solo albums, 'Jornada di un Badiu' (1989) and 'Hino di Unificacon' (1993) are distributed in compact disc format by Melodie in France.

While never turning away from the music's roots in Santiago, Norberto's songs have had themes expressing hopes for an improved Cape Verde society, one which transcends its racial, economic and ethnic differences and works together in building a better nation; ideals very much relevant to Cape Verdeans after independence. This type of theme is clearly expressed in one of Norberto Tavares's most popular songs, 'Nos Cabo Verde di Speranca' (1976), which has become an unofficial Cape Verdean national anthem.

Norberto's songs also provide illustrations of typical themes in both popular and acoustic funana using pastoral imagery. His poetic vignettes of life in rural Santiago are often his public's favorites, perhaps because they remind listeners of the joys of a simpler existence. Indeed, some of his songs including 'Mariazinha', from the album, 'Volta pa Fonti' (1979), 'Return to the Source' has become part of the folk repertoire in Santiago. Other songs deal with his concerns about the fair treatment of elderly people, women and children.

Norberto returned to Cape Verde in 2005 to perform at the Festival de Gambo in Santiago to celebrate 30 years of Independence in Cape Verde, as well as his 30 year career as a recording artist. Throughout his long career, Norberto has challenged the people of Cape Verde to make democracy work and to acknowledge social problems. His contributions to independent Cape Verde are only starting to be fully appreciated by his people and written into the history of the nation.

Norberto now lives in New Bedford, Massachusetts where he makes his living as a musician. Norberto has continued to produce high quality recordings in his studio in America. Although he has lived in the United States for many years now, his songs still reflect the concerns and interests of the people of Santiago. His people remain close to his heart. Norberto often uses his music to express his dissatisfaction with social conditions in Cape Verde. Because of this, he has developed a reputation as a political activist, although he considers himself a critic of unjust social conditions rather than a supporter of a specific political party. Norberto has performed in Cape Verdean communities in America and in Europe with his band, Tropical Power.

Norberto Tavares is a songwriter, popular performing artist, social activist and bandleader who has made a career in the United States as well as in his home country, Santiago, Cape Verde. Norberto has made a significant contribution to the Cape Verdean diaspora funana movement of the 1970s and 1980s. He has remained one of the most popular and influential songwriter/performer from Santiago in contemporary Cape Verdean music. Norberto is particularly admired for his distinctive style of funana, for the messages in his songs and for his superb musicianship.

Through much of the nation's political turmoil in the last few decades, Norberto Tavares has been an ambassador of Cape Verde's musical traditions and, through his music, a champion of social justice and the rights of the poor.

The movie, 'Journey of the Badiu: The Story of Cape Verdean-American Musician, Norberto Tavares', was written and directed by F&M music professor, Susan Hurley-Glowa who met Norberto while studying among the Cape Verdean population in New England. The movie details the styles of Cape Verdean music, such as the unique forms of morna and funana. The accordion and guitar are the most common instruments, although other instruments are used and hand percussion is quite common. But Norberto Tavares, as other island musicians have attested, takes the traditional forms in new directions - always with a political subtext in his lyrics.

For ethnomusicologist, Hurley-Glowa, the project started 16 years ago, when she met Norberto in Rhode Island. "I wasn't aware of just how important Norberto was until the last four or five years", she said. "Then I started to realize he is an important national hero."

Top of Page

The Tune Weavers

picture of the Tune WeaversHailing from the late '50's, The Tune Weavers are the first Cape Verdean Doo Wopp Group. All members reside in the Massachusetts area.

Lead singer and writer, Margot Sylvia holds the remarkable honor as the first Cape Verdean woman given 'The Citation of Achievement Award' which was equivalent to a Grammy Award in 1957. The Grammy Awards were not created until two years later in 1959.

The Tune Weavers were inducted to the 'Doo Wopp Hall of Fame' at Symphony Hall in Boston on March 30, 2003.

The two original Tune Weavers, John Sylvia and Charlotte Davis Rose re-formed the group adding singers, Burt Pina and Alice Fernandes as a new life has begun for 'The Tune Weavers', who now perform to cheering crowds at the Providence Performing Arts Center in Rhode Island, the Cape Cod Melody Tent and Webster Indian Ranch in Massachusetts as well as in Florida.

The Tune Weavers earned a place in rock and roll history with their classic ballad, 'Happy, Happy Birthday Baby', but the group itself was really a pop-jazz outfit.

Margot Sylvia and her brother Gilbert Lopez performed around Boston as a duet in the mid-'50s. They were eventually joined by Margo's husband, John Sylvia and her cousin, Charlotte Davis doing a repertoire of R&B songs and jazz vocals.

They went by the name, 'The Tone Weavers' until one night a waiter at a club was told by his boss to introduce the act. He was so nervous about standing up in front of a crowd that he introduced them as 'The Tune Weavers' and they decided to keep it. They performed songs by The Four Freshmen and the Jackie Gleason Orchestra, two of their influences.

In late 1956, the foursome, Margo age 20, lead, Charlotte age 20, obbligato, Gil age 22, tenor, and John age 21, bass, came to the attention of former bandleader Frank Paul, whose brother-in-law had raved about the group.

Frank, who had his own small record label, Casa Grande, (named after his old band), finally agreed to hear them and went to his brother-in-law's home where they were set to audition.

After they played some tapes and sang some a cappella tunes, Margo and company sang a song she wrote at age of 16 called 'Happy, Happy Birthday Baby'. Frank came to life and said, "That's the one we're going to record".

On March 7, 1957, The Tune Weavers recorded 'Happy' and the standard 'Old Man River' as eight-months pregnant Margo crooned her way through the songs. The record came out soon afterward, but Frank Paul's promotion was minor league in comparison to what was necessary and the birthday song went nowhere.

Then in July, a Philadelphia disc jockey played the record and suddenly the phones were ringing off the hook. Checker Records, (distributed by Chess), picked up the distribution rights from Casa Grande and by September 16th, 'Happy, Happy Birthday Baby' was chart bound, eventually reaching number five Pop and number four on the R&B charts while selling over two million copies.

Their first big performance was at one of Alan Freed's rock and roll shows at the Brooklyn Paramount with Paul Anka, Little Richard, The Diamonds, Della Reese, and the blond bombshell, Joann Campbell.

The group maintained a one record touring career with artist like the Everly Brothers, Buddy Holly and the Crickets, Johnny Mathis, Tony Bennett, The Ames Brothers, The Spaniels, LaVern Baker, The Cleftones, Jerry Lee Lewis, The Del-Vikings, Ricky Nelson, The Chantels, and many more.

Several quality recordings followed on both Checker and Casa Grande including 'I Remember Dear' and 'My Congratulations Baby', but the group never charted again.

In 1960, Charlotte left the group and was replaced by William "Bunky" Morris, Jr. The group broke up in 1962 but reformed for some '70's oldies shows.

In 1988, Margo recorded under the singles for Bruce Patch's Classic Artist Records. One was a remake of 'Happy, Happy Birthday Baby' done as a Christmas song titled, 'Merry, Merry Christmas Baby', the other, 'I've Tried', written by Charlotte.

Margo, lead singer for the group, passed away in October, 1991. Her brother, Gil passed away in July 1998. Her husband John and cousin Charlotte are both semi retired.

Margo and John's son, Mark Sylvia, has his foot firmly planted in the music business as a record producer working with Howard Huntsberry and Klymaxx.

Charlotte's son, Robert "Bunny" Rose has followed in the family's footsteps recording with a Boston based group, Classic Example.

We remember 'The Tune Weavers'.

Top of Page

Roberta Joyce Delgado Vincent

picture of RobertaRoberta Joyce Delgado Vincent was born on July 10, 1945 in Norwich, Connecticut. She is the daughter of Mary Santos Delgado and Anthony Delgado. She is the granddaughter of Joseph Candido Delgado born in the village of Praia Branca, in Sao Nicolau, Cape Verde Islands.

She is married to John B. Vincent and they are the parents of the Late Tania Vincent and Robert L. Howard II. John and Roberta reside in Norwich, Connecticut.

Roberta attended Norwich Free Academy and graduated in 1963 with an AS Degree from Mitchell College. She is employed as MCS Production Operations Manager for Computer Sciences Corporation supporting the General Dynamics Electric Boat Shipyard in Groton, Connecticut.

She has been a passionate, tireless advocate for the Cape Verdean community in her home town of Norwich, Connecticut for over 20 years, and has spearheaded the successful campaign for the preservation and reconstruction of the Delgado family chapel.

Delgado's Chapel stood where it was built for over 75 years. Knowing that it was a historical landmark that could be threatened, Roberta and several Cape Verdean supporters worked diligently to have it listed on the State Register of Historical Monuments in 2003. Roberta built a remarkable coalition of architectural historians, builders, folklorists and artists developing an organization whose focus was to save the chapel as an icon of Cape Verdean history and culture. In 2004, 'A Capela do Santo Antonio, Inc.' was incorporated as a non-profit organization and Roberta proceeded to organize grassroots fundraising efforts for chapel preservation.

Roberta and her supporters received a grant of $4,500.00 from the Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation; along with personal donations, for the chapel restoration. She negotiated with St. Mary's Church in Norwich, which approved the reconstruction to be made in the Mediation Area in September 2005. The restored chapel, rebuilt by Cape Verdean labor was blessed and opened on April 29, 2006. Roberta hosted a feast for the community that was attended by hundreds including the Mayor and local state representatives. With the loss of the Cape Verdean Club to fire in early 2007, the chapel now stands as the primary symbol of Cape Verdean cultural heritage in Norwich, Connecticut.

The rebuilding of a replica of St. Anthony Chapel has been a rewarding, however emotional journey for her to have experienced the passion, persistence and perseverance which her grandfather, Joseph Delgado must have experienced when he built the historic St. Anthony Chapel.

Roberta is a member of the Cape Verdean Santiago Society, Inc. for 35 years in various capacities. She was the prior Chairperson of the Annual Dances honoring Cape Verdean men and women, young adults and inviting dignitaries in the City of Norwich to promote an awareness of the contributions Cape Verdeans have made to the City of Norwich.

Perhaps Roberta's greatest joy, after the reconstruction of the Chapel, has been the young girl she sponsors in Cape Verde. Stephanie Pires is 10 years old and lives in Brava. Roberta visited her and Cape Verde for the first time in 2006, taking school supplies, vitamins, clothes, etc., for her family.

With the collaboration of Roberta and Lynne Williamson, Director of the Connecticut Cultural Heritage Arts Program, research and oral history interviews with members of the Norwich Cape Verdean community resulted in a publication highlighting the relatively little known history of the Cape Verdeans in Connecticut.

Roberta's leadership and her gift for outreach, collaboration and communication have enriched not only the historical record of Cape Verdeans throughout southern New England, but also their community spirit.

"No greater honor could have been bestowed upon me, than to be inducted into the Cape Verdean Heritage Hall of Fame with my grandfather, Joseph Candido Delgado."

- Roberta Joyce Delgado Vincent

Top of Page

Home Page